Friday, August 16, 2013

My Biggest Fear



 
 
My Biggest Fear
 

Tomorrow is our goal date to be funded and head to Haiti.  We are currently 50% funded and need an additional $2,200 in monthly sponsors to get to the 85% point which is the required amount by our organization, Global Outreach International, to leave.  I’ve been trying to come up with clever quotes and stories to share for the final rally, but nothing seems to fit, so I thought I would just share my heart.

 I originally went to Haiti unwillingly.  It wasn’t something I desired or wanted to do.  I told my wife it’s unsafe, what can we do for them in a week, it costs too much etc…I had all kinds of reasons.  But deep down, which I didn’t share with her was, I didn’t want to get my heart  broken.  I didn’t even want to think about it, a half a million orphans, babies without someone holding them, many of which wouldn’t make it to age 5 because of  simple lack of care.  How do you go to a place like that, how do you even grasp that type of desperation?  How do we not come back without them? 

Well you all know the story by now, I did go, I did get my heart broken and broken and broken.  I’ve had people try to give me newborns because they can no longer care for them, I’ve seen a boy beaten severally because he had epilepsy and his family thought he was demon possessed, children beaten because they were sick, thousands of families burned out of their homes chased by mobs with guns and clubs because they were sold a fraudulent deed.  I’ve held starving children, while knowing they might not make it, I could go on and on.  Yes, my biggest fear was getting my heartbroken and that’s exactly what God wanted to happen.

I am moving to Haiti.  I am moving there because I don’t like my heart to be broken and I don’t plan on coming back until it heals with the rest of theirs.  Some will say I’m heading into a losing battle I say the battle has only just begun. 

We chose tomorrow, August 17th as our goal date.  It’s the 17th anniversary of me breaking my neck, God said I wasn’t going to die on that day, He didn’t give up on me, He had specific plans for my life.  Today I’m asking you to partner with us to become a monthly sponsor.  I’m asking you to have faith that through Him nothing is impossible. 

To become a monthly sponsor please go to:



 
17 years ago
 
 
 
 The picture you see is my Jeep Cherokee that I flipped off an overpass in Florida. I was trapped for several hours before I was found by a Good Samaritan. After the fire department cut me out of the car I was life flighted to Tampa General. I know now that it wasn’t luck that the best spinal surgeon in the country happened to be there. I crushed c-4 & c-5 vertebrae, the break that kills most everyone it happens too. Although my vertebrae were crushed and my spinal cord was bent, it didn’t severe. One in a million. Through a very complicated surgery, one of its kind at that time, I was given my life back. Everyday I’m thankful that God had other plans for me, I’m thankful for my family and thankful that He has chosen us to serve Him in Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment